Wednesday 11 March 2009

Doppelganger

I went to see a customer today who looked and sounded EXACTLY like Jonathan Agnew. It was so uncanny that I started doing a Geoffrey Boycott impression to fit in. He wanted to know about extending his overdraft and I told him that he didn't need that as, "me granny could run this business within t'existing facilitee." Fortunately, I happen to know that the real Agnew is in Trinidad at the moment, and not running a shop in Ilkley.

Obviously, I was on duty so didn't mention the fact that he was quite clearly the evil twin of the BBC's cricket correspondent. But I was dying to ask him if it was a cross he constantly bears. At least Agnew is not a celebrity in the modern sense of the word - I suspect that he is not assailed constantly by octogenarian autograph hunters as he swans around Ilkley. Imagine if you were the living double of Cheryl Cole - you wouldn't get out of the house before people started hassling you, requesting photos, proffering autograph books, and tactfully not mentioning the whole "assault occasioning actual bodily harm" thing.

I think it would make an interesting feature - people who have to live their lives constantly being mistaken for someone else. I am not talking about people who make a living out of being lookalikes - that's boring. I mean people who are just, by the random wave of nature's fickle hand, cursed to be mistaken for someone more famous.

So do you know anyone who falls into this category - I'll interview them and make them famous. Oh hang on, they might not like that. Okay I'll interview them and put their story on here and seven people will read it.

Names to me by the end of Michaelmas term, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment